Monday, April 13, 2009

What a weekend

Well I was hoping to have a nice relaxing weekend, and spring break, with my kids before the baby comes, but of course that is never the case. On friday, Jake left to take Alex skiing one more time and before he had even got on the slopes, back at home, Easton bit through his tongue. I was to panicked to unhitch Jakes truck and trailer so my sweet neighbor buckled him in her van, while I prepared to leave Maddie home alone with my 3 yr old, Lleyton. Luckily my other friend Yuriko showed up in the meantime and offered to leave her daughter and son to help out. She made sure they had lunch and everything. I am so greatfull for these amazing woman in my life. Anyways the bleeding was out of control and he kept spitting it in a plastic cup like a boxer might do. But it was just so much blood, I was getting sick looking at it, and I have a pretty strong stomach. The instacare docs sent us to primary so off I went. Poor Easton was so brave, he finally stopped crying, but didn't want to swallow so we went through countless numbers of gauze pads that day. I finally got a really good look at it, and wanted to cry. I know how bad it hurts just to bite it a little bit, but this was 1/2 way back on the widest thickest part of his tongue. It was a perfect 1/2 moon from side to side and was very deep, it looked like cutting through a raw steak, blood oozing out annd all. Jake finally decided that the snow was crappy and to come meet me at PCMC. I was very gratefull because I could hardly hold him Easton on my prego lap and the baby kept kicking against him. Plus I knew if we had to sedate him that I would need his help. Finally 4 hrs later and 4 nurses and 5 docs later the last dr. said he would be fine. I was a little irritated because everyone else up to that point was preparing us for the inevitable it seemed like and they even brought the IV nurse in iwth them, and then the Head ENT doc. said, without hesitation, that he would be fine. I was very nervous about infection and all that but greatfull he wouldn't have to have stitches. He was so cute, he didn't want to tell anyone what happened and so he said he couldn't remember. He didn't eat anything for almost 48 hrs. and barely drank, I have never smelt breath that bad before in my life. I told him that is what a pirates breathe must smell like. He made us a little nervous because he was sleeping so much and basically missed out on all the Easter fun, but when we got home Sat. night he drank some slushy finally and decided that drinking was okay. Then he told me how it really happened, He fell from the monkey bars and hit the teeter-totter on the way down with his shirt in his mouth, He asked if he was in trouble. I said no, because that could have happened to anyone on wet monkey bars, but I was mad that he was sucking on his clothes. However it probably saved hom from bitting it all the way off, and then the dogs would have just ate it. All in all he is doing better and it is amazing how quickly it is healing. Sorry no pics he wasn't really interested in posing for pics.

1 comment:

Marlies said...

Oh my gosh Stacy! That is crazy! I can't believe the luck you have. I'm glad that he is doing ok. What a tough cookie! Good luck to Jake taking over as Mr. Mom. You have a great fam.