Friday, September 5, 2008

MEMORIES

This week has also been one of much reflection for me. We found out that my Favorite Uncle Eldon died last friday and today is the anniversary of my best friend Jamie and her daughter, Alexis' death. I wanted to do this post not only for my kids to realize how important these people were in my life but so that I also can use this blog as a tool when my memory fades. I loved going to see Uncle Eldon and Aunt Deon when we were visiting my grandparents in California. Aunt Deon is my Grandpa Dyers Sister. They have treated us like there own grandkids, literally. Because before they had kids, they would always take us out to Bullwinkles when we came. Which besides the beach and cabin was the highlight of our trips. And my funniest memory with Uncle Eldon was when we had gone to my Grandpas school, he was a high school principal at Blackford H.S. in San Jose, and when we came out Eldon and Deon were waiting for us. Eldon had found a shopping cart on the parking lot and put Ian in it and was push him around at illigal speeds for a shopping cart. I can't believe he didn't crash! Jake and I were thinking about how fortunate we were to have been able to stay with Eldon and Deon when we went out for my Grandparents 50th anniversary. We had some good times and were so gratefull for their hospitality.

Jamie Grundy-Finnerty was not only my best friend but my 4th sister. Jeez I am already crying. Even after 2 years it is so hard for me to think about her without crying. Not because I'm sad, but because I feel like I missed the opportunity to know her better as we got older. She was the girl on the street that every one was friends with because she was so sweet and so nice and nonjudgemental. There were so many family trips were it was just asumed that Jamie was coming because she was literally a member of our family. I remeber my Dad taking her a Brecka to the church parking lot to practice driving and the accordian practices that I would go with Kathy to. I was so jealous back then that she could play a musical instrument, because I have no musical ability at all. Even though we drifted apart during high school, she had her drill friends and we had our own group of friends, we never stopped loving eachother. I remeber her baby shower and watching Alexs' flip in her stomach it was amazing. And that was the begining of her amazing journey as a mother. She has 2 more kids now Caitlyn and Ethan and they live in Arizona still. Jake thinks I am crazy but I have kept her funeral paper in my drawer and I doubt I will ever throw it out. I don't want to forget her ever. I am so glad she has Alexis' with her in heaven, they were so close and it had to end it was the perfect ending, here on earth at least. I will cherish the moment that I see her waiting for me and my sisters. I think of the reunion often. Jamie, thank you for being the Angel that the Gustaveson Family needed.

5 comments:

Rae said...

Sweet Stacie, I am so sorry that you have to feel that heartache today. It is no fun to love someone so much and not be able to hold them. However, I know (from experience) that these cherished loved ones do look over our shoulder a lot and give us the strength to endure a little longer until we are together again! If you need a fill-in, I am always willing to be someone's 4th sister (seeing as I have none and my mom is one of those looking over my shoulder!) Love you sweet friend!

Stacy said...

I remember you telling me about this happening to your friend. I think it was about the same time we were figuring out that we both knew Jake and Julie Jorgensen. I am sorry about your uncle.

Your kids look adorable at the zoo!

Chad and Kelly said...

This comment is from Kathy Grundy. . . Stacie, I just want to thank you for remembering Jamie and Alexis. My biggest fear is that people will forget them, so it makes me feel so good to hear when people remember them. You guys were a big part of Jamie's life, and I know she loved you tons. Even though I don't comment, I love keeping updated through your blogs. I love you, Kathy.

Julie Toone said...

All loss sucks! Im sorry you are feeling sad. I know it helps me just to voice it though and allow yourself to feel that. I sure wish no one had to feel that kind of pain. Keep smiling:)

Doney Days said...

Your post made me cry a little. I didn't know your friend but she sounds amazing. I hope I can be half a person it sounds like she was. I'm sorry you've had deal with these losses. Hope you're doing ok.

P.S. Thanks for being my friend on Facebook :)